Rural-urban.eu is a website operated by ROBUST, a project funded by the European Union's Horizon 2020 program. The site gives regular updates on the activities, news and results of ROBUST in particular and the topic of rural-urban interactions in Europe in general. It serves as an entry point into this topic and a place to debate the latest developments of Rural-Urban Europe.
ROBUST is a European research project involving 24 partners from 11 countries. It is coordinated by Wageningen University in the Netherlands. The project receives funding from the European Union´s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 727988. ROBUST kicked off in June 2017 and will run for 48 months until 2021.
The overall goal of ROBUST is to a) advance our understanding of the interactions and dependencies between rural, peri-urban and urban areas and b) to identify and promote policies, governance models and practices that foster mutually beneficial relations. Improved governance arrangements and synergies between rural, peri-urban and urban areas will in turn contribute to Europe’s smart, sustainable and inclusive growth, maximising the creation of rural jobs and value-added.
To achieve these goals, ROBUST works with 11 Living Labs and 5 Communities of Practice.
The 11 case study regions are hosted by the following ROBUST practice partners.
Supporting the practice partners in the case studies are the following research and network partners:
- Aberystwyth University - Department of Geography and Earth Sciences (AU), United Kingdom
- Baltic Studies Centre (BSC), Latvia
- Federal Institute for Mountainous and Less-Favoured Areas (BABF), Austria
- ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability, European Secretariat (ICLEI), Germany
- Natural Resources Institute Finland (LUKE), Finland
- OIKOS – Development Consulting (OIKOS), Slovenia
- Peri-Urban Regions Platform Europe (PURPLE), Belgium
- Policy Research & Consultancy (PRAC), Germany
- University of Gloucestershire – Countryside and Communi-ty Research Institute (UOG), United Kingdom
- University of Lisbon - Instituto Superior Técnico (IST), Portugal
- University of Pisa - Department of Agriculture, Food and Agri-environmental Science (UNIPI), Italy
- University of Valencia - Research Institute for Local Devel-opment (UVEG), Spain
- Wageningen University – Rural Sociology Group (WU), The Netherlands